Fragmentation of the Hamster’s habitat as well as urban spread are two threats that have been identified for the survival of the species. These actions will put in place anti-predation devices inside underground fauna passageways on a section of the motorway which cuts through key Hamster habitation zones, will assess their effectiveness, and define and transmit recommendations to roadway infrastructure decision-makers in all zones where the hamster is present in Europe. Two pens, equipped with cameras, will be set up on both sides of the fauna passageways. Hamsters will be released in these pens and will be forced to face their predators.
- Animal husbandry of hamsters for conservation actions (A1)
- Mitigation of the predation risk where there are fauna passages with transport infrastructures (C2)
- Monitoring of crossing of these roadway infrastructures by Hamsters with anti-predation systems (D2)
- Assessment of the social, economic and environmental impact of the concrete actions tested in the Alister Project (D5)
- Drawing up and transmission of recommendations for fauna passageways (E2)
- Transmission of Alister Project results to domestic and European decision-makers (E5)